Q1.5: Associations, Journals and Conferences
[Note: Also see the list provided in Shikano's WWW site on Speech
and Acoustics: http://www.aist-nara.ac.jp/IS/Shikano-lab/database/internet-resource/e-www-site.html.]
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Publications: include
IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing,
IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio (from Jan 93),
IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (now obsolete),
IEEE Signal Processing Magazine. (More information on the WWW: http://www.ieee.org/sp/index.html).
- Speech-Related Conferences:
ICASSP - Intl. Conf. Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing.
IEEE also runs speech technology related workshops and many other conferences. (Does anyone have a list?)
- Contact: IEEE Service Center
445 Hoes Lane, PO Box 1331, Piscataway, NJ 08855, USA
Phone: 1-800-678-IEEE or (201) 981-0060
- WWW: IEEE: http://www.ieee.org/
IEEE Signal Processing Society http://www.ieee.org/sp/index.html
The Acoustical Society of America (ASA)
European Speech Communication Association (ESCA)
- Conferences: EUROSPEECH is held every two years.
E'97 will take place in Patras, Greece, in September 1997.
ESCA organises regular speech-related workshops: see their WWW pages for details.
- Contact: Secretariat ESCA
ICP, Universite Stendhal,
BP 25X, F38400 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Ph: (+33).184.108.40.206 Fax (+33).220.127.116.11
- WWW: http://ophale.icp.grenet.fr/esca/esca.html
Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL)
American Voice Input/Output Society (AVIOS)
- Description: AVIOS is a not-for-profit organization,
dedicated to disseminating information about applications using speech
technology. It aims "to bridge the gap between
emerging voice technology and its application, by providing an interactive
forum for the technologists, students, system developers, business
managers, and users actively involved in or with an interest in the
field of voice processing."
- Publications: International Journal of Speech Technology (with Kluwer Academic Publishers)
The Journal of the American Voice Input/Output Society was published from 1984 to 1994.
- Conferences: The International Voice Input/Output
Applications Conference is held annually (since 1982):
Sept 10-12, San Jose, CA.
- Contact: 4010 Moorpark Avenue, Suite 105M, San Jose,
CA 95117, USA
Ph: +1-408-248-1353, Fax: +1-408-248-0251
European Language Resources Association
The European Language Resources Association was established in Luxembourg in February,
1995, with the goal of creating an organization to promote the creation, verification,
and distribution of language resources in Europe. A non-profit organization, ELRA aims
to serve as a central focal point for information related to language resources in
Europe, It will help users and developers of European language resources, as well as
government agencies and other interested parties, exploit language resources for a wide
variety of uses. It will also oversee the distribution of language resources via
CD-ROM and other means and promote standards for such resources.
- More info: see the
ELRA Home page for membership information, lists of resources etc.
- Contact: K. Choukri, Executive Director ELRA
87, Avenue d'Italie, 75013 Paris, FRANCE
Ph: +33 1 45 86 53 00, Fax: +33 1 45 86 44 88
ASSTA: Australian Speech Science and Technology Association
SALT: UK Speech and Language Technology Club
- Description: Monthly newsletter covering developments in the
speech recognition and speech synthesis marketplace.
- Note: Voice Information Associates also publish
"Automatic Speech Recognition: A study of the world-wide
market" (revised 1995) and
"Text-to-Speech Technology Markets: 1995-2000" (revised 1995)
- Contact: Voice Information Associates, Inc.
14 Glen Road South, P.O. Box 625, Lexington, MA 02173, USA
Ph: +1-617-861-6680, Fax: +1-617-863-8790
- Description: Monthly newsletter reporting on voice mail,
voice response, speech recognition, speech synthesis, digital voice
record/playback and related technologies, markets and company activities.
Review copy available on request.
- Contact: Stoneridge Technical Services
P.O. Box 1891, Rockville, MD, 20849, USA
Ph: +1-301-424-0114, Fax: +1-301-424-8971
Speech Recognition Update
- Description: Monthly news and analysis of
speech recognition markets, applications and technology.
A free sample copy is available by contacting TMA Associates.
- Also: TMA Associates also publishes market studies,
including The Advanced Speech Technology Market: Recognition,
Synthesis and Compression (1996) and Voice ID (1996).
- Contact: TMA Associates
6021 Wish Avenue, Encino, CA 91316, USA
Ph: +1-818-708-0962, Fax: +1-818-345-2980
Voice Technology and Services News
Follows integrated PC LAN messaging (voice, fax, mail, video) and speech
technology. It follows the merging computer and telephone technologies,
provides insights into business and marketing opportunities
and offers executive timely information on industry trend analysis.
- Contact: Phillips Business Information
1201 Seven Locks Rd., Potomac, Maryland, 20854, USA
Ph: 1-800-777-5006 OR +1-301-340-1520
Subscription FAX: +1-301-309-3847
Editorial FAX: +1-424-4297
Voice Processing Magazine
- Description: No longer published
Technical and Research Publications
Computer Speech and Language
- Price: $US170 (Institutions), $US75 (Individuals),
4 issues per year.
- Publisher: Academic Press Limited
24-28 Oval Road, London NW1, England
- Contact: ESCA (see above)
- Publisher: Elsevier Science B.V.
P.O. Box 521, 1000 AM Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing,
IEEE Signal Processing Magazine,
IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing: OBSOLETE
- Contact: IEEE (see above)
- Description: online access to all abstracts published in Linguistics Abstracts
since 1985, plus all current material as it becomes available. Over 250 publications are
indexed. Free trial available.
- Contact: Published by Computational Linguistics Assoc. (see above)
Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (JASA)
- Contact: Published by Acoustical Society of America (see above)
International Journal of Speech Technology (was the AVIOS Journal)
- Description: Focuses on speech technology and its
applications, and promotes research and description of all aspects
of speech input and output: applications, base technology,
theory, approach, experiment, and testing.
- Publisher: Kluwer Academic Publishers
101 Philip Drive, Norwell, MA 02061, USA
Ph: +1-617-871-6300, Fax: +1-617-871-0449
- Submissions to: International Journal of Speech Technology
Journals Editorial Office, Ms. Kelly Riddle
Kluwer Academic Publishers
(Address, phone, fax as above)
ICSLP: Intl. Conference on Spoken Language Processing
Next: 30 Nov to 4 Dec, 1998, Sydney, Australia
Held in even years.
- ICASSP - Intl. Conf. Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing
- Computational Linguistics (COLING), held bi-annually
- International Voice Input/Output Applications Conference
- SST: Australian Speech Science and Technology Conference
Also see the following lists on the WWW:
Shikano's WWW site on Speech and Acoustics
Institute of Phonetic Sciences WWW list
Section 1 of the
comp.speech FAQ Home Page.
Submit Information :
Last Revision: 18:29 05-Sep-1997