Comp.speech is an unmoderated
newsgroup for discussion of speech technology and speech science. It
covers a wide range of issues from the application of speech
technology, to research, to products and lots more. By its nature,
speech technology is an inter-disciplinary field and the newsgroup
reflects this. However, computer application is the basic theme of the
Note: If you don't know what a newsgroup is, then talk to your local
system administration about how to get access. A useful newsgroups for
beginners is news.announce.newusers.
You might also find the following documents useful.
The following is a list of some of the topics covered by
- Speech Recognition - discussion of methodologies,
training, techniques, results and applications. This should cover the
application of techniques including HMMs, neural-nets and so on to the
- Speech Synthesis - discussion concerning theoretical and
practical issues associated with the design of speech synthesis systems.
- Speech Coding and Compression - both research and
- Phonetic/Linguistic Issues - coverage of linguistic and
phonetic issues which are relevant to speech technology applications.
Could cover parsing, natural language processing, phonology and
- Speech System Design - issues relating to the application
of speech technology to real-world problems. Includes the design of
user interfaces, the building of real-time systems and so on.
- Other matters - relevant conferences, jobs, books,
software, hardware, and products.
Section 1 of the
comp.speech FAQ Home Page.
Submit Information :
Last Revision: 01:52 12-Apr-1996